Monday, August 27, 2012

Tires- The Safe Driving Tip O' the Day

What to do if gas pedal gets stuck.

I saw a news report that showed a woman in a SUV that was traveling at speeds in access of 100 m.p.h. because her gas pedal got stock fully engaged to the floor. My first though on this subject was d-an-an-gerousss! I then thought a little deeper about this subject.

If my gas pedal or cruise control got stuck and propelled me down the highway at top speed (Which by the way wouldn't be too terribly fast since I drive a Government Motors vehicle, a Chevy Cavalier), would I know what to do? NO! The more I thought about it, as old as my car is I figured several things would happen, first the paint would peel off the car, the wind shield would disintegrate, and the tires would explode, so for the most part I should walk away from the incident in good shape but I would have to put Old Green down.


"Hold it right there, Old Green!"

Below is a website from a tire store in New York that knows what to do. I copied (borrowed, please don't sue) from their website some tips to help you if you ever find yourself in this predicament

Home » Tech Section » What to do if gas pedal gets stuck.

What to do if your gas pedal sticks
  • Tap the gas pedal to try to unstick the throttle linkage.
  • Hook your toe under the pedal to try and free it.
  • Shift to neutral and apply firm pressure to the brakes without locking the wheels.
  • Find a safe place to move the vehicle completely off the road. ( I am not sure I agree with this one)
  • If your automobile has power steering or a locking steering wheel, do not turn off the ignition or you will lose either your power steering, or the ability to steer.
  • Have your vehicle checked with a mechanic as soon as possible.

Sources: North Carolina Department of Transportation, sos.state.il.us

Website: Not here, it is belower. (Just thought I would take a pause and refresh myself)

Now if you are in the state of New York and you find a need for tires or you just like to smell new tires (and I know some of you people are tire sniffers) go to these guys because they are the tire guys with a heart, 

they have to have a heart otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to put those wonderful tips on their website. Tell them Leon sent you and that you want the Leon special. Of course they won't know what the heck you are talking about but the looks on their faces would be priceless. 


Store Locator

Home » Store Locator

(Click on the maps to enlarge or location name for more information)
New Rochelle
New Rochelle, NY
914-636-7776
20 E. Main St.
10801
Elmsford
Elmsford, NY
914-592-3750
5. Warehouse Ln.
10523
Brewster
Brewster, NY845-279-6197
266 N. Brewster Rd.
10509
Store Hours:Monday - Friday: 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday: 8 am - 1 pm (Elmsford till 2 pm)
circletag.gif

What makes MK tire the place to buy tires and service your vehicles?
Finally the real website:


This blog was brought to you by The Responsible Bloggers of America organization which I don't have an affiliation with. I just blog from the hip. 


Leon

Images: Yahoo Images and MK Tire Center

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am not in right now but if you leave a comment I just might respond.